Folks. Heading to PNH for a few days. Booked what looked like cheap cheap flights via Air Asia but don’t forget the fuel surcharges, the Farang tax, the whatisthenameofthatairport tax and throw in a few baht for the finish the City Terminal tax and suddenly it does not look as cheap as a I thought. However. I have a few days free and wanted to get out of dodge. Given the power of the community I thought I would check in with people before I go and see if I can get any pointers and tidbits.
Of course I have been re-reading On Nutter’s PNH piece and I will also include in this post some notes from another regular visitor to PNH. To be clear I am not just looking for parties and girls. Looking for hotel suggestions, good places to ea, any notable bars, clubs and so on. I will do my best to write it all up as well when I get back.
Here are some fresh notes from a buddy of ours – anyone care to add to this?
3 basic bar scenes:Freelance bars (think beergarden and Thermae), hostess bars (similar to Thai beer bars), and knocking shops.
4 primary freelance bars are Sharkeys (http://www.sharkysofcambodia.com/home.html), Martinis, Heart of Darkness, and Walkabout.
- Sharkys has good food, convenient location, 4 large pool tables, a balcony overlooking the street, and a fun atmosphere to interact with the local talent. Good action from 8 to 11 pm, when many of the ladies go to later spots. Easy to hook up with some fellow mongers here for a bar tour and advice.
- Martinis is about a 20 minute moto ride away from the riverfront, and is a pleasant outdoor garden area with decent food, one shitty pool table, and a small, scary disco (but it’s cool to drop in there and watch the girls watching themselves dance). Be wary of going there late at night alone as it is down a very dark dirt road. OK if you go with someone familiar with the town.
- Heart of Darkness is a late disco (open til 4 or 5) about 1 block from the Flamingo Hotel. Crowded dance floor with lots of freelancers, many younger tourists, and some local khmer guys. Has a reputation for violence in the past, but some rugged security guards seem to keep things under control currently.
- Walkabout is also near the Flamingo Hotel, open 24 hours with a busy pool table, and good, cheap food. Usually some hard looking girls here, but occasionally a cutie drops in.
Hostess bars are in several convenient and safe locations. Barfines $5-10 USD and $15-20 ST and $25-30 LT. Make sure the lady agrees on activities as some are only looking LT relationships, and only want to be taken out for food and dancing. Better looking girls in hostess bars than freelance spots.
- 2 primary locales are the Street 104, and Street 51 bars, both safe and close locales.Many others along the waterfront are comfortable places to drink and eat, some girls available, some not.
- Street 104 bars consist of about 10 bars just off the riverfront.
- Street 51 has around 5 bars, within 2 blocks of the Flamingo.
- The Shanghai bar (http://shanghaibarcambodia.com/home.html), just across from the Flamingo, has some stunning girls, but many are selective about who they bump with. Young and hip guys do better than older guys. Sometimes you’ll see local guys come and collect girls for older Chinese / Japanese businessmen, who don’t want to come to the bar.Customer drinks generally $1 USD, LDs are $2 USD (ladies keep 50% as commission).
3 primary knocking shops are Sophies, Mikado, and Le Cyrcee.