It’s no secret, I am growing tired of assholes in Bangkok. But what type of person comes under ‘asshole’?
– The Indian / Pakistani tourist on a tight budget who doesn’t wash and wants to play pool for free in a bar. They have also been known to bring their own drinks!
– The sweaty, wet Arabs walking three abreast down Sukhumvit road and then stop for no reason, blocking all pedestrians.
– Rude guys that after having one or two drinks, get loud and abusive to staff.
– The internet trolls (cowards) who are scared to say things to my face.
– People who only visit a bar when there is a freebie on offer (and balloon chasers)
– Nigerians on the street saying ‘alright man’ when I walk past.
– People who will mess around with the girls in a bar and then not tip them
Basically, YOU know if you’re an asshole. You’ll be the one walking down soi cowboy or wherever on your own. Your only companion is someone you pay, and you always have a separate bin at a bar because you’re too cheap to buy a drink for anyone and no one is going to buy you one.
But lets not leave this as negative. The reason that the Big Mango doors are open today is because of the cool people I have met. There are too many to name here, but YOU know who you are.
We have some great English Teachers in our stable. One little Irish fella who is a blast and is always generous to the staff. We have the usual I.T bods, always happy to assist with our I.T problems. We have people living all over the globe that offer us a place to stay should we happen upon their neighborhood. We have people who ‘get’ what I am trying to achieve with the Mango and have bought me a bottle of booze! To get a bottle of booze off someone, when you have a bar shows that the bar was not a consideration when purchasing it. In other words, these guys are genuine, and the Mango Bar is not the only reason we hang out. Some of the guys, are just really nice people who don’t have a nasty word to say about anyone.
The Mango has been good to me. I’ve made some great friends and I’ll remain in contact with long after the Mango has gone.
But for now.. it’s business as usual…